'Making Creativity Bloom'

Tuesday 18 January 2011

stories coming alive in the library

Mosaicing the lion in the library has given me 'food for thought' today. I have met some lovely people and has reminded me why I love working with art projects in the community.
I am mosaicing this lion in the children's section of the library, with small benches and storybook galore nearby.
I had been privileged to hear some wonderful stories - parents reading storybooks to their younger children, complete with different voices of the characters, children sitting in ore waiting for the next instalment. I have had parents talking to me whilst their child has been sticking, telling of small snippets of their lives and funny ditties and waiting to stick their own tiles too.

I had also heard heartfelt stories of bravery, that I could not imagine and could never understand and totally admire their determination and personal strength and love for others. Stories of crazy fundraising events coming up and the reasons why the fundraising is just so important; having a moment to talk to someone I wouldn't normally chat too from young to old. Seeing children's' and adults faces light up simply sticking their tiles and being part of the mosaic jigsaw. A simple act making the bigger picture, or lion in this case!

This project reaches an audience that wouldn't interact in day to day situations and being able to say 'Would like like to stick a tile on my lion?' and knowing that come the summer, different 'pockets' of our Bournemouth community could walk up to this lion and say 'That's my bit, I stuck on in the library'. 'Pride in Bournemouth' ( see the link there? oh, it's here: www.prideinbournemouth.com )
I'm a lucky girl seeing this project coming alive and meeting wonderful people and hearing their mini stories, how fitting for a library! I promise to bring more photos for you to see the progress of the nameless lion soon..

No comments:

Post a Comment